Your Best Travel Guide to Ukraine 01:51 | 04.12.2016 Choose your language УкраїнськаEnglishРусскийPolskaDeutschItalianoFrançaiseEspañol
Best of Ukraine
Official Currency Rates (UAH)
USD 25.90 CAD 19.47
EUR 27.56 PLN 6.14
GBP 32.69 RUB 0.04
PrintAdd to FavoritesSend to friendContact usSite MapHome
Ukraine Travel Center
Monuments Kyiv

View Kyiv Monuments in a larger map

Golden Gate (Zoloti Vorota)

Zoloti Vorota or Golden Gates, Kyiv, Ukraine
Zoloti Vorota or Golden Gates, Kyiv, Ukraine

Zoloti Vorota Metro Stop

Golden Gate (Zoloti Vorota) - The name comes from it's similarity with Constantinopol's Golden Gate. You can find this historical fortress on the corner of Volodymyrs'ka and Prorizna Street, next to the Metro Station Zoloti Vorota.

This unique monument was constructed by Yaroslav the Wise, Prince of Kiev, between 1017and 1024. It reflects the art of fortification of Kievan Rus.
Golden Gate was the main entrance into the grand city of Kyiv.

This unique structure served as a defensive tower and a church. Kievans called Golden Gate "the sky gate" as every morning the sun passed through it, rose and entered "the vault of heaven". It was an awesome view! The fortified construction of Zoloti Vorota was totally inaccessible. Nomadic tribes could never take it by assault, and even Batu Khan didn't manage to enter the city through the Gate. Batu Khan's Golden Horde stormed a less fortified Lyads'ki Gates and destroyed Zoloti Vorota from inside in 1240.

Zoloti Vorota witnessed many important historical events. In 1648 Kievians greeted the hero of the Ukrainian national liberation struggle Bogdan Khmelnitsky. You'll find more about the monument to B.Khmelnitsky a little further on.

Zoloti Vorota or Golden Gates
Zoloti Vorota or Golden Gates

Zoloti Vorota continued as the principal gate to Kyiv through the 18th Century, and was favored for ceremonial purposes, even though it gradually fell into disrepair.

In the mid-eighteenth century, following engineer Debosquet's design, the remnants of the ancient Zoloti Vorota were buried underground and replaced anew.

The year 1832 saw the second birth of Zoloti Vorota, when archeologists discovered the ruins of the old fortification. They were restored and fenced with metal iron. With time, however, the ancient masonry, exposed to wind and precipitation, further deteriorated.

Further improvments in the 1970s added an adjacent pavillion (housing a museum of the Gates history), which would protect it from further destruction as well as recreate the ancient appearance of the monument. The ancient structures (including nineteenth-century brickwork and joins of metal) have been fully preserved and can be viewed from all sides.

The "Opening" was held in May of 1982 on the event of Kiev's 1500th anniversary. The museums exposition presents items related to the history of old Kiev, including objects of everyday life, weapons, and other exhibited items that were discovered during the course of archeological excavations in the area of Zoloti Vorota.

It was discovered that the floor and walls of the old Annunciation Church were covered with frescos and mosaics, so the restored church was also decorated with mosaics and frescos. This church was put up in honor of the Virgin as the gratitude for the victory over the Pechenegs.

The name Zoloti Vorota is used for a nearby stop on the Kyiv metro.

Monument to Yaroslav Mudry (Yaroslav The Wise)

Monument to Yaroslav Mudry (Yaroslav The Wise)
Monument to Yaroslav Mudry (Yaroslav The Wise)

Corner of Volodymyrs'ka and Prorizna Street, next to the Metro Station Zoloti Vorota

Yaroslav Rurikide I, Grand Prince of Kiev "Yaroslav The Wise" or Yaroslav Mudry was born 980. He died 2 Feb 1054 in Kiev, Ukraine. Yaroslav married Ingegerd Ynglinga Olafsdatter, Princess of Sweden.

He was the "grand prince" of Kyiv from 1019 to 1054. A son of the grand prince Vladimir, he was vice-regent of Novgorod at the time of his father's death in 1015. Yaroslav became the grand prince of Kiev in 1019.

He began consolidating the Kievan state through both cultural and administrative improvements and through military campaigns. He promoted the spread of Christianity in the Kievan state, gathered a large collection of books, and employed many scribes to translate Greek religious texts into the Slavic language.

Monument to Yaroslav Mudry (Yaroslav The Wise)
Monument to Yaroslav Mudry (Yaroslav The Wise)

He founded churches and monasteries and issued statutes regulating the legal position of the Christian Church and the rights of the clergy. With the help of Byzantine architects and craftsmen, Yaroslav fortified and beautified Kiev along Byzantine lines. He built the majestic Cathedral of St. Sophia and the famous Golden Gate (Zoloti Vorota) of the Kievan fortress.* The legend says that before the final battle with powerful Pechenegs, Yaroslav Mudry prayed and begged the Virgin to help him to defeat the enemy. He promised to build the church dedicated to the Mother of God in case of success. He did not forget his promise and ordered the Golden Gate topped with the gilded-domed Annunciation Church.

Trade with the East and West played an important role in Kievan Rus in the 11th century, and Yaroslav maintained diplomatic relations with the European states. *(Yaroslav I. (2006). Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved May 20, 2006, from Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service)

The monument shows Yaroslav The Wise, holding a model of Saint Sofia Cathedral. It was unveiled in 1997

Architect Horodetskyi’s Beast House

Architect Horodetskyi’s Beast House
Architect Horodetskyi’s Beast House

10 Bankova St.

This building located in a lovely part of the city center is definitely among the most interesting in Kyiv. It was built by architect Vladyslav Horodetskyi in the Modernist style in 1902 - 1903 for his family. The owner of one of the first cement companies in Kiev was asking Horodetsky to convince everybody that cement is a more reliable and firm material than lime. For the promotional purposes of its product, the owner was supplying Horodetskyi with cement for the project for free.

The front and the roof of the building are decorated with statues of animals, mythical figures, and hunting objects. They were made by the sculptor Elio Saal according to Horodetskyi's sketches.

The entire architectural composition is captivating to the onlooker with its striking perfection, while seeming to invite the viewer into the world of fantasy.

Monument to Bohdan Khmel'nyts'ky

Monument to Bohdan Khmel'nyts'ky
Monument to Bohdan Khmel'nyts'ky

Sofiis'ka Ploscha

Among Kyiv's best-known public monuments is the statue of Bohdan Khmel'nyts'ky. (Bohdan Zynovii Mykhailovych Khmel'nyts'ky commonly transliterated as Khmelnytsky, and known in Polish as Bogdan Zenobi Chmielnicki)

He was a Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Noble of Polish or Ruthenian origin, and leader of the Zaporozhian Cossack Hetmanate, Hetman of Ukraine.

Bohdan Khmel'nyts'ky was noted for his revolt against Poland (1648 – 1654) and the Treaty of Pereyaslavl' which eventually led to the annexation of Ukraine by the Russian Empire.

(The five Hryvnia Ukrainian banknotes depicte Bohdan Khmel'nyts'ky)

Prince Volodymyr Monument

Prince Volodymyr
Prince Volodymyr

This monument can be seen from the Volodymyrs'ka Girka Park, down the hill, or from Volodymyrs'ky Uzviz up the hill

On the slopes of the Volodymyr Hill and overlooking the Dnipro River there is a monument to Grand Prince Olha's grandson, Volodymyr who is also called the Baptiser of Rus, as he introduced Christianity into Old Rus in 988.

Volodymyr, his family, and his closest associates were baptised in December 987, when he took the Christian name Vasylii (Basil). Soon afterward he ordered the destruction of all pagan idols.

The mass baptism of the citizens of Kyiv took place on August 1, 988. The remaining population of Rus’ were slowly convertedas well, though sometimes by force.

During Volodymyr's reign the first schools and churches were built, notably the Church of the Tithes in Kyiv.

The adoption of Christianity as the official religion facilitated the unification of the Rus’ tribes and the establishment of foreign dynastic, political, cultural, religious, and commercial relations, particularly with the Byzantine Empire, Bulgaria, and Germany.

Relations with Poland improved after Volodymyr's, son Sviatopolk I, married the daughter of Prince Bolesław I the Brave in 992.

Volodymyr expanded the borders of Kyivan Rus’ and turned it into one of the most powerful states in Eastern Europe.

The Rus’ clergy venerated Volodymyr because of his support of the church, but he was canonized only after 1240. Thereafter he was referred to as ‘the holy, equal to the Apostles, grand prince of Kyiv.’A bronze statue of Grand Prince Volodymyr was erected in 1853 in Kyiv.

The Monument of Motherland

The Monument of Motherland
The Monument of Motherland

Pechers'ky Landshaftny Park, next to Kyiv Pechers'k Lavra

Kyiv's statue of the Motherland is a memorial of the Great Patriotic War (World War II). The statue itself is 62 meters (203.4 feet) tall, the overall height is 102 meters (334.6 feet). (You can find links to conversion calculators on our Travel Forum)

The figure is made of a chrome nickel steel variation and weighs about 450 tons.

In the left hand the figure is holding a shield which is decorated with the state symbol of the USSR (13 tons). In the right hand there is a sword which weighs 9 tons and is 16 meters (52.5 feet) long. The monument was opened by L.Brezhnev in 1981.

"The National Museum of the history of World War II" is located at the base of the statue. Its base begins at a depth of 17,8 meters (58.4 feet) below the museum entrance. There’s a concrete well with a diameter of 34 meters (111.5 feet), reaching down 17.8 meters also.

The Statue’s "skeleton" is made from stainless steel and was produced in Zaporizhzhya. It was the first statue of it's size ever made in the USSR. Its final construction was in the Kyiv factory Parizhskoi Kommuny with the help of the Institute of Electric Welding, ie; Patona.

The monument was assembled with the use of a 100 meters (328 feet) tall crane, specially made in Donbass. It is calculated, that the statue can survive a 9 point earthquake and should last for over 150 years.

There are two lifts (elevators) inside the statue. It was previously possible to go inside the head, sword and shield areas, but in 2002 the access for tourists was limited, due to a series of accidents.

The Monument of Eternal Glory at the Grave of the Unknown Soldier

The Monument of Eternal Glory
The Monument of Eternal Glory

Vichnoyi Slavy Park (Eternal Glory Park), Arsenal'na Metro Station

Throughout a number of wars, vast numbers of soldiers have died without their remains being identified. Thus a practice has developed for nations to establish a symbolic "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" that represents the war memorial for those that have never been identified. Kyiv is no exception.

The Eternal flame at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier fallen in WWII, is one of Kiev's most recognized landmarks. In 1957 the Park of "Eternal Glory" was created (see more in our Parks section).

Here, through day and night, burns the Eternal fire on the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, at the base of a 27-meters (88.6 feet) granite obelisk . There are 34 heroes, victims for the Native land, buried at this monument.

During the creation of the park the remains of these heroes, with observance of all military honors, were solemnly re-buried on its main avenue.

People come here on Victory Day and on other days to put flowers and pay their respects to the memory of the soldiers who forced their way through in the battle of the Dnipro and freed Kiev, and the soldiers who had victoriously finished the war in Berlin.

Ukraine Independence Monument

Ukraine Independence Monument
Ukraine Independence Monument

Maidan Nezalezhnosti

One of the notable figures of the Central square is the Ukraine Independence Monument, which includes the statute of a woman in Ukrainian national costume on a 40 meter (131.2 feet) column, symbolizing the independence of Ukraine.

Monument to Founders of Kyiv

Monument to Founders of Kyiv
Monument to Founders of Kyiv

Navodnyts'kyi Park, opposite Naberezhne Shose

This prominent riverside monument to the founders of Kyiv – Kyi, Shchek, Khoriv and their sister Lybid was unveiled in 1982 at the foot of Pechersky plateau on the bank of the Dnipro.

It was created by Vasily Borodai along with architect N. Feschenko.

The sculpture is a boat with the three brothers standing at the stern with two holding spears and Kyi holding a large bow.

Lybid stands tall and strong at the bow, with the wind gracefully lifting her cloak. (Unveiled in 1982).

Pronya Prokopivna and Svirid Golokhvastov

Pronya Prokopivna and Svirid Golokhvastov
Pronya Prokopivna and Svirid Golokhvastov

Uphill from Andriyvs'ka Church on Desyatynna Street (just the beginning of Andriyvsky Uzviz) you'll find the monument dedicated to Pronya Prokopivna Sirkova and Svirid Petrovich Golokhvastov, characters of the cinema version of Mikhail Staritskiy Play "After Two Hares". Many tourists take pictures with Pronya and Svirid, even if it means standing in line. Pronyas waist has taken on a polished brightness from the many hands that have embraced her for pictures. Unveiled in 1999.

Monument to the millions of Ukrainian victims of the Great Famine in 1932-1933

Great Famine Monument in Kyiv
Great Famine Monument in Kyiv

Mykhailivska ploscha

This monument is also located next to St. Michael's Golden-Domed Cathedral on Tryokhsvyatytel's'ka Street, 6. It is nearly always covered with flowers. The composition is of granite stone with its recess made in the form of a cross and bronze effigy of "Mother-Ukraine with child".

Monument to the millions of victims of the Great Famine in 1932-1933

Great Famine Monument in Kyiv
Great Famine Monument in Kyiv

Vichnoyi Slavy Park (Eternal Glory Park), Arsenal'na Metro Station

You'll find the monument dedicated to the millions of victims of the Great Famine in 1932 - 1933 in the Eternal Glory Park (Park Vichnoi Slavy) between Lavra and the Monment of Eternal Glory. There also will be a Museum underground.

This Memorial Complex is not finished yet and consists of several elements. First, walking from the side of the Mazepy Street (former Sichnevogo Povstannya Street) you'll see the bronze sculpture of the little emaciated girl with the skillets in her hands. Further, you'll see the monument by itself, the 30 meters white bell tower shaped as a candle surrounded by crosses with the cranes.

The Statues of Princess Olha, Apostle Andriy, St. Cyrill and St. Methodius

The Statues of Princess Olha, Apostle Andriy, St. Cyrill and St. Methodius
The Statues of Princess Olha, Apostle Andriy, St. Cyrill and St. Methodius

Mykhailivska ploscha

Grand Princess Olha ruled Kyivan Rus from 945 through 964 as a Kyivan Rus’ princess and Orthodox saint, wife of Prince Ihor and mother of Sviatoslav I Ihorovych. She was a wise and energetic ruler that arranged the previously separated Rus lands into a well-organized and prosperous country.

In the 1920s this monument was stolen by the Communists and for a long time was considered to be lost. But during the reconstruction of the Mykhailivska Square in 1995 it was discovered under the road and installed once again in its original spot.

Afghanistan 1979-1989 War memorial

Afghanistan 1979-1989 War memorial
Afghanistan 1979-1989 War memorial

(Ivana Mazepy Street) Sichnevoho Povstannya Street

Opposite the Kyiv-Pechers'k Lavra you'll see the monument to "Ukrainian soldiers Internationalists", who died during the Afghanistan War, started by the Soviet govenment. There are memorial plaques with the names of soldiers around the sculptures. 
The Sculptor was N. Olenik. The monument was unveiled in 1994.

Monument to the courage, faithfulness and heroism of the Mothers

Monument to the courage, faithfulness and heroism of the Mothers
Monument to the courage, faithfulness and heroism of the Mothers

Solomens'ka Ploscha

Another notable Kyiv monument is the monument to the courage, faithfulness and heroism of the mothers, whose sons and daughters fought the Nazis during World War II.

This monument is a little bit off the beaten path for most tourists, but worth seeing.

It's grandeur and fulness of feeling is striking.

Monument to Petro Sahaidachny

Monument to Petro Sahaidachny, Kyiv, Ukraine
Monument to Petro Sahaidachny, Kyiv, Ukraine

Kontraktova Ploscha Metro Stop (in front of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy)

Petro (Kononovych) Konashevych-Sahaidachnyi was a Hetman of the Zaporozhian Host from 1614–1622, an organizer of the Ukrainian Cossack armies, and a political and a civic leader. His troops played a significant role in the battle of Khotyn against the Turks in 1621. He was given the nickname Sahaidachny, which was a Cossack military rank equivalent to field hetman in 15th century. Before his death, Petro Sahadachny left all his assets to the brotherhood schools in Kiev and Lviv for charitable, educational and religious purposes.

Monument to Grygory Skovoroda

Monument to Petro Sahaidachny, Kyiv, Ukraine
Monument to Petro Sahaidachny, Kyiv, Ukraine

Kontraktova Ploscha (Nearest metro stop: Kontraktova Ploscha, blue line)

This monument can be found on Kontraktova Ploscha (Kontraktova Square). It is devoted to the poet Grygory Skovoroda and was made by the sculptor I. Kavaleridze in 1976.

In 1973 a street in Kyiv was named after Grygory Skovoroda. He was a famous Ukrainian philosopher, poet, enlightener, and -humanitarian. Skovoroda studied at Kyiv-Mohila Academy between 1738 and 1742, and 1744 through 1750. The Academy is located on Skovorody Street, 2

There are numerous other wonderful churches and cathedrals in Kyiv. If you would like to share one that you find particularly interesting with the rest of the world, please feel free to send us your info and photos to ubkua@ukr.net and we'll consider posting them here for other travellers to enjoy.



Please note, all photos on this website are copyrighted to their respectful owners and all rights are reserved. This means you must have permission to use the photos in any way. NO commercial, non-profit, or governmental use of any kind is allowed without written permission. No redistribution of any modified or altered photo is allowed. Please, use our email ubkua@ukr.net for usage inquiries.

Best Of Ukraine

Sights of Ukraine
Picture: architecture15


Accomodation in Ukraine
Picture: starrent


Donor helps kids with cancer in Ukraine